Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2017-18
Burnley (h) U23 Premier League Cup Group Game 1


Friday September 29th 2017, 1.00pm 

 Whitley Park

Conditions: generous


Newcastle U23s

Burnley U23s

  3 - 4





21 mins McNall shot 1-0

Half time: Magpies 1 Clarets 0

63 mins
McNall header 2-0

77 mins
Lamb header 2-1

83 mins
N'Guesson shot 2-2

85 mins
Metz shot 2-3

87 mins
Sangare shot 3-3

90 mins
Nabi shot 3-4

Full time: Magpies 3 Clarets 4


Maybe scheduling this game on a Friday afternoon was just asking for trouble.

Ahead at the interval - although the visitors had twice missed good chances from set pieces - United seemed to believe that the tie was over when the lead was doubled just after the hour, knocking off early for the weekend at that point.

Burnley however had a rather different work ethic; scoring four times in less than quarter of an hour to leave Newcastle empty-handed after the opening game of this season's Premier League Cup.

A sparse Whitley Park crowd saw striker Lewis McNall return from injury to put his side ahead on 21 minutes, dispatching Jamie Sterry's curling cross low and hard first time into the corner of the net.

Second best throughout the half, the Clarets could still have gone in level or even ahead, with defender Harry Flowers twice finding himself unmarked at the back post following corners but unable to direct his header goalwards on either occasion.

Newcastle goalkeeper Paul Woolston was forced into action on 38 minutes to deny Jamie Thomas, but his side could have been further ahead by then - had Mo Sangare made contact with a centre from Craig Spooner that flashed across goal, or Aiden Stone not reached Owen Bailey's header.

Chances continued to appear at both ends following the resumption, Tinashe Chakwana somehow contriving to hit the crossbar from close range before Sangare volleyed when well placed.

McNall's second goal arrived in the 63rd minute when he headed a centre past Stone, Dan Barlaser the provider this time. 

A flurry of substitutes followed - Burnley's two having a more positive effect than Newcastle's pair. Within five minutes Harry Limb had marked his arrival by heading a left wing cross back across Woolston for 1-2

An 83rd minute equaliser then arrived after United's defence switched off and the ball was walked into the net by Christian N'Guesson. Within two minutes the visitors were ahead, a high ball upfield into the United box misjudged by Josef Yarney, allowing the lurking Khius Metz to fire home.

United looked to have salvaged a point with three minutes of normal time left, Mo Sanagare forcing in substitute Mackenzie Heaney's corner.

The Clarets weren't finished though and won it with seconds remaining, a low cross into the box from the left flank running loose before Rahis Nabi turned it in to complete United's miserable afternoon.

Along with the Clarets, Newcastle's other Group D opponents are Swansea and Colchester. The 32 team tournament begins with a group stage consisting of eight groups of four, each team playing the other three teams in their group home and away. Eight group winners and eight runners-up progress to the knockout stages of the competition.


Page last updated 03 October, 2017