Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2017-18
Aston Villa (a) U23 Premier League Division Two


Monday October 30th 2017, 7.00pm 

 Bescot (Banks's) Stadium

Conditions: Chilly but dry

Admission: 3


Aston Villa U23s

Newcastle U23s

  6 - 0





8 mins McKirdy shot 0-1

17 mins
O'Hare shot 0-2

25 mins
O'Hare shot 0-3

34 mins
Lansbury shot 0-4

Half time: Villans 4 Magpies 0

52 mins
O'Hare rebound after penalty save 0-5

85 mins
Doyle-Hayes tap-in 0-6

Full time: Villans 6 Magpies 0




While the first team went down to a single goal defeat at Burnley, United's U23 side were given a six-goal thrashing at Walsall's Bescot Stadium by Aston Villa on Monday night.

But Peter Beardsley's side were lucky to escape with just a round half-dozen, goalkeeper Freddie Woodman making some fine stops as Dan Barlaser's red card in the 51st minute left them a man short and five goals down.

Villa's side, with Jack Grealish and Henri Lansbury in the starting line-up, were too strong for the visitors as Callum O'Hare netted a hat-trick with Harry McKirdy, Lansbury and Jake Doyle-Hayes the other scorers.

The onslaught started right from the off, Lansbury almost scoring after just 11 seconds and shooting straight at Woodman barely a minute later.

Grealish volleyed narrowly wide soon after before McKirdy opened the scoring in the eighth minute, after a long ball reached him and he was able to place the ball past the advancing Woodman.

Victor Fernandez had United's only effort at goal but Lansbury curled another shot wide after 15 minutes and then O'Hare got his first of the night finding time to turn and fire in two minutes later.

United conceded for the third time in the 25th minute, when O'Hare was able to turn the ball home after his first effort had been saved by Woodman.

Lansbury then got his goal in the 34th minute firing in off the post and McKirdy also had the ball in the net before half-time, only to be ruled offside.

Lansbury was subbed at the break but six minutes into the second half, Barlaser tripped McKirdy as he bore down on goal and was duly red-carded.

Woodman saved O'Hare's spot-kick but the Villan followed up to knock the rebound in and complete his hat-trick. His fourth should have followed six minutes later, but with just Woodman to beat he elected to pass and the ball was cleared.

Easah Suliman found the net but was again denied by the flag and thankfully Freddie made some more fine saves to keep the score down. Doyle-Hayes then tapped in the sixth with five minutes remaining after Woodman had made yet another stop. 

United's second successive six goal away drubbing - they lost 2-6 at Southampton a fortnight ago - was their heaviest reserve loss since Spurs scored six without reply at Enfield in November 2012. 

Niall MacKenzie

Page last updated 26 November, 2017