Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2017-18
Blyth AFC (h) Northumberland Senior Cup Quarter Final


Thursday December 21st 2017, 7.30pm 

 Whitley Park

Conditions: ultimately emphatic


Newcastle U21s

Blyth AFC

  7 - 2





3 mins Ward shot 1-0

71 mins
Chilton shot 1-1

Half time: Newcastle 1 Blyth 1

47 mins
McNall shot 2-1

49 mins
Heaney shot 3-1

54 mins
McNall header 4-1

60 mins
McNall shot 5-1

69 mins
Cameron OG 5-2

70 mins
Smith shot 6-2

79 mins
Roberts shot 7-2

Full time: Newcastle 7 Blyth 2



image credit:

Newcastle's second string recorded a resounding victory over their Northern League Second Division visitors at Whitley Park on Thursday night, claiming a place in the last four of the Northumberland Senior Cup alongside defending champions Blyth Spartans, Morpeth Town and Newcastle Benfield.

An evenly-contested first half ended with the score tied at 1-1, but the Magpies swiftly powered ahead after the break - helped by a 14 minute treble from substitute striker Lewis McNall.

The hosts took just three minutes to go ahead, midfielder Dan Ward jinking into the box before rounding former North Shields goalkeeper Chris Bannon and firing home.

A second Newcastle goal almost followed after six minutes but Callum Smith placed his first-time effort just wide and the black and whites came under increasing pressure from that point onwards.

Liam Gillesphey - brother of Magpie Macaulay - shot across goal on 18 minutes, before Blyth levelled just before the half hour after a low 10 yard effort from Michael Chilton sneaked over the line.

Home striker Luke Charman then saw two headers go past the far post but after needing treatment on two occasions, failed to reappear for the second period. His place was taken by Lewis McNall, who took less than two minutes to curl a shot home for 2-1. 

And within 90 seconds, Mackenzie Heaney opened up a two-goal lead when converting from close range. McNall then nodded in Smith's centre from the left flank in the 54th minute before Heaney's defence-splitting ball played in McNall for an easy finish on the hour. 

Blyth reduced the arrears when the ball flicked off defender Kyle Cameron and beyond Nathan Harker after 69 minutes - only for United to go straight upfield and score again themselves - Callum Smith firing into the roof of the net.

A seventh United goal then arrived a minute from full time, Callum Roberts scampering down the right and cutting inside before giving Bannon no chance and racking up their third seven goal haul in this competition in the last decade (7-0 v Alnwick Town in 2007, 7-0 v Team Northumbria in 2014).

There was a reserve debut for striker Tyrique Bartlett - the son of former Charlton Athletic and South Africa forward Shaun. Full back Michael Newberry and midfielder Jack Hunter continued their comebacks from injury and there was a first competitive game this season for Yannick Aziakonou.

And as for the hat-trick hero, 18 year-old Lewis netted his first Senior Cup goals on his second appearance in this competition, both off the bench. This second club treble was accomplished in a similar time scale to his first, against Manchester United U18s back in September 2015.


Page last updated 24 December, 2017