Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2017-18
Colchester United (h) U23 Premier League Cup Group Game 6


Monday February 26th 2018, 1.00pm 

 Whitley Park

Conditions: Freezing and snowy


Newcastle U23s

Colchester Utd U23s

  3 - 0





7 mins Charman shot. 1-0

10 mins
Charmsn header. 2-0

Half time: Magpies 2 U's 0

49 mins
Sangare shot 3-0

Full time: Magpies 3 U's 0


Having already confirmed their last 16 qualification, the U23s rounded off their Group stage fixtures in the Premier League Cup on Monday with the victory that confirmed them as Group D winners. 

Their opponents at chilly Whitley Park were already unable to qualify and it took took just seven minutes for United to open the scoring.

Magpies forward Luke Charman struck twice against Colchester in Essex before Christmas and again found them to his liking, finished off a move involving both Victor Fernandez and Mo Sangare.

And within three minutes he'd done it again, this time heading in a left wing cross from Fernandez.

Newcastle thought they'd added a third on 16th minutes when a Callum Roberts corner ended up in the net seemingly without a touch, but the linesman had spotted some pulling and it was ruled out.

Two minutes later Fernandez showed great skill to get to the byline and stood up a cross but the ball was hooked away from the danger zone. De Carrey Sheriff went close for the U's in the 23rd minute when he made contact with a right wing cross but put it a yard wide in a rare attack.

There was a six minute delay before half-time when Magpies defender Curtis Good challenged Sheriff and the visiting player had to be stretchered off.

Four minutes after the break the Magpies increased the lead when Sangare took a layoff from Charman, drove into the box and fired in a low left foot effort.

Newcastle's Owen Bailey became the second player to leave on a stretcher in the 56th minute after going down under an innocuous-looking tackle.

The visitors threatened Otto Huuhtanen's goal in the second period but he did well to deny Paul Rooney, Tarryn Allaraghia and Tario Issa while Wright, Issa and Elijah Phipps should all have netted.

Making a temporary return from his loan at Crewe in order to get some pitch time, midfielder Dan Barlaser then fired in a late 25-yard free-kick but it was superbly turned over by Dominic Kurasik. 

Joining Newcastle in the last 16 of the competition are Swansea City, Derby County, Middlesbrough, Blackburn Rovers, Southampton, Wolves, Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Leicester City, Everton, Liverpool, Bristol City, Exeter City and Brighton & Hove Albion.

That lineup will be completed by either Ipswich Town or Sheffield United depending on the result of the final game in their group, which was postponed today.

With thanks to GW

Page last updated 27 February, 2018