Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2017-18
mackems (a) U23 Premier League International Cup Quarter-Final


Wednesday March 7th 2017, 7.00pm

 stadium of plight

Conditions: elongated

Admission: £3


mackem U23s

Newcastle U23s

  2 - 2
on pens)





29 mins Good header. 1-0

38 mins
Gooch penalty. 1-1

Half time: mackems 1 Magpies 1

67 mins
Gooch shot. 1-2

90 mins
Roberts free-kick. 2-2

Full time: mackems 2 Magpies 2

(92 mins Roberts missed penalty - saved)

ET HT: mackems 2 Magpies 2

AET: mackems 2 Magpies 2

The shootout:

Charman scored 1-0
Hackett scored 1-1
El-Mhanni scored 2-1
Embleton scored 2-2
Good scored 3-2
Hume scored 3-3
Hunter saved 3-3
Molyneux saved 3-3
Sangare scored 4-3
Diamond scored 4-4
Fernandez scored 5-4
Gamble scored 5-5
Gallacher scored 6-5
Galloway scored 6-6
Smith scored 7-6
Robson scored 7-7
Newberry scored 8-7
Storey scored 8-8
Yarney scored 9-8
Mbunga scored 9-9
Woolston scored 10-9
Stryjek scored 10-10
Charman scored 11-10
Hackett missed 11-10

Newcastle win!



Newcastle United's U23 side sealed their place in the last four of the Premier League International Cup following an epic 120 minutes at the stadium of plight on Wednesday night, rounded off by a shootout featuring 24 penalties. 

Their reward is a home tie against current Cup holders Porto in the semi-final, with Arsenal and Villarreal contesting the other game.

Clad in their blue change kit, the visitors took the lead in the 29th minute when Curtis Good firmly headed home a Callum Roberts free-kick.

That was cancelled out nine minutes later when the home side levelled from the penalty spot, Lynden Gooch needlessly fouled in the box by Mackenzie Heaney and getting up to net - and celebrate - in front of the away contingent.

Magpies striker Luke Charman came close to regaining the lead in the opening moments of the second half, but his shot was charged down.

That miss looked like an expensive one when a rare mackem attack saw a low centre from the left missed by the United defence and the unguarded Gooch ram the ball home in the 67th minute.

United dominated thereafter but creating few chances until the beginning of three minutes added time, when Mo Sangare was blocked off and Roberts converted a long-range free-kick from a central position to level the scores at 2-2 and force extra time.

The same player then had a great chance to regain the lead within a minute of the restart, when substitute Owen Gallacher was impeded in the area. However, 'keeper Max Stryjek made an acrobatic dive to his left and palmed away Callum's well-struck effort.

Newcastle continued to hold the upper hand and both Gallacher and Good saw shots cannon off the goalframe within seconds during the 112th minute. There was no further scoring though and the tie was settled by a marathon penalty shootout at the empty north end of the ground, during which both sides miss the fourth of their initial 11 spot kicks.

Jack Hunter's miss was the only blemish, with the rest of his colleagues including former mackem goalkeeper Paul Woolston successfully converting theirs. The sequence then began again with Magpies striker Luke Charman netting his second of the shootout to edge United in front. 

Jake Hackett then sent his second penalty high over Woolston's crossbar to prompt celebrations among the Newcastle players, coaching staff and fans at the opposite end of the ground.

Reserves @ stadium of plight:

2017/18 drew 2-2 Good, Roberts (won on pens)
2013/14 lost 0-2
2012/13 drew 2-2 Ranger, Inman
2011/12 lost 0-3
2010/11 won 3-1 Ranger, Lovenkrands, R.Taylor
2007/08 drew 2-2 Godsmark, Doninger
2002/03 lost 0-1
2001/02 won 2-0 McMenamin, Cort
2000/01 lost 1-3 Bonvin
1999/00 drew 1-1 Marcelino

This was the second time we've won a penalty shootout here, having triumphed 3-1 in the FA Youth Cup after a 0-0 draw in February 2015. Michael Newberry and Callum Roberts played that night. 


Page last updated 09 March, 2018