Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



This Season 
 Match Report 2000-01 - Ipswich Town (a) 
 U17 Playoff Final First Leg
Date: Sat 19th May 3pm

Venue: Portman Road 

Conditions: Grim


Ipswich Town

5 - 0 Newcastle United


13 mins The elusive Dickinson hit the first after 11 minutes. Steve Burton held the ball up then Dickinson saw his initial shot blocked but he made space to get it on to his left foot and fired it into the corner of the net from 20 yards 1-0

32 mins
Ipswich made it 2-0 just past the half hour. Dickinson won the ball on half way and knocked it wide to Darren Ambrose on the right. His instant control and pass through the centre released Darren Bent to run clear, control and calmly slot it home  2-0

Half time: Ipswich U17 2 Newcastle U17 0

46 mins
First Burton and Bent won aerial challenges in the penalty area, but as the ball was cleared Dickinson smashed it through the crowd of players and a deflection made sure Collin had no chance 3-0

75 mins the dangerous Darren Bent, 30 yards out, sent in a powerful curling shot which left keeper Collin helpless 4-0

88 mins
Matt Robinson collected another super long pass from Darren Ambrose to score and make the second leg nothing more than a formality 5-0

Full time: Ipswich U17 5 Newcastle U17 0

We Said

Alan Irvine commented:

"Naturally we were all bitterly disappointed with the result on Saturday but not withstanding that it has been a tremendous season for the lads and we all hope to put on a good performance at St. James' Park on Wednesday evening."

They Said

Town coach Ian Smith said

"We scored great goals but we never really got going.

“I don’t know what would have happened if we had played well.

“We will need to put it right at Newcastle on Wednesday to finish the season on a high. We want them to play a really good Ipswich team. We set high standards.”

Academy Director Bryan Klug added: 

“It is a measure of the improvement that we have made that there is some disappointment when we have won 5-0.”


 United go 3 down

Ipswich started strongly with Robert Dickinson having a shot blocked on four minutes.

After nine minutes a superb Darren Bent header put Steve Burton through on goal but Newcastle keeper Adam Collin managed to push his shot round the post. The ball ended up in the net from the corner but it was disallowed, presumably for pushing.

Having drawn first blood on 13 minutes, front men Dickinson, Bent and Burton were linking up well and, after 20 minutes, Burton headed over the bar from a good left-wing cross by Matt Richards.

Once two down, Newcastle fought back and Offiong put Chopra through to be denied by a great tackle by Lee Chaffey.

Then he ran into the box and fell as his ankle was clipped, though to Town’s relief the kick was given outside the area. Tommy English smashed the free-kick over the bar.

Offiong was proving a handful for the Town defence. His swift turn and pass set up Chopra but he was given offside.

The same United striker held his head after 37 minutes when he went very close. Running into the penalty box from the left he dragged his shot past the far post when it looked like going in. Just before half-time Chopra threw himself at a fine right-wing cross but missed by inches.

Then Darren Kelly had to earn his half-time cuppa, diving at the feet of Chopra to save, as he looked certain to score.

Town started the second half in whirlwind style, grabbing a third within a minute, so soon after half time that we were still finishing the half time lager but the steward assured me that it was scored by Dickinson. 

At 3-0 down Newcastle played some of their best football, getting it wide, passing well and sending in crosses but too often they ended up with long shots or crosses which didn’t trouble Kelly.

Kelly did have to produce a good save after 54 minutes from that man Offiong.

As Newcastle continued to press forward more chances came for Burton, Dickinson and Bloomfield.

In the 75th minute Ipswich went 4-0 up with another cracker from the edge of the area by Bent for his second goal of the game. Ipswich finished off the scoring two minutes from time when the substitute Robinson hit it under the diving Collin. 
During three minutes added on substitute Matt Robinson hit one chip over the bar and then collected another super long pass from Darren Ambrose to score and made it 5-0.

Despite it finishing 5-0 Newcastle did have chances and will be disappointed to go into the second leg so far behind but Ipswich made their chances count.

Thanks to Mark Dixon 


Page last updated 19 May, 2012