Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2018-19
Everton (a) Premier League Cup Final


Wednesday May 8th 2019, 7pm 

Goodison Park

Conditions: Painful

Admission: Free


Everton U23s

Newcastle U23s

  1 - 0





Half time: Toffees 0 Magpies 0

59 mins
Feeney header. 0-1

Full time: Toffees 1 Magpies 0


Newcastle's U23 side failed in their bid to lift the Premier League Cup on Wednesday night, losing narrowly to Everton at Goodison Park.

Having already clinched the Premier League 2 Division One title, the Toffees completed a domestic double thanks to a 59th minute goal from their captain, Morgan Feeney.

The hosts didn't have it all their own way in the opening stages and Second Division United won several corners - one of them causing an almighty scramble in the box on 12 minutes, before 'keeper Joao Virginia pounced on it.

Visiting custodian Nathan Harker was called into action midway through the opening half, diving to smother a low effort following a mazy run from Josh Bowler.

Bowler then made progress down the Everton right and his cross dropped over Harker towards the near post, home striker Fraser Hornby thankfully also missing it.

As half time came into sight, Harker became busier, making a double stop before a linesman's flag brought play back and seeing Hornby blast one just over.

Two minutes before the interval, Bowler's cross from the right found Hornby, but he somehow got under the ball from six yards and spooned it into the Park End.

The inevitable home onslaught followed the restart and after striking the woodwork, Everton were denied by Owen Bailey's header from within his own six yard box.

That was only a temporary respite though and Everton went ahead just in the 59th minute, when Antony Evans swept a free kick into the box and Feeney headed in.

Ben Dawson's side had fallen behind in their last game to a goal scored by the same method at an identical point in the second half, but a repeat of their stirring revival and penalty shootout victory over Reading never really looked likely on the blue side of Stanley Park.

Having brought on top scorer Elias Sorensen after half time, United introduced Yannick Toure and Rosaire Longelo as they attempted to force a leveller - although clear-cut chances eluded them.

Newcastle did win a free kick in a dangerous position outside the area in the dying moments, but Callum Roberts was unable to keep his shot down and with it went the chance of silverware.

Among the celebrating Everton players was former Newcastle defender Lewis Gibson, while elder sibling Liam had to be content with a runner's-up medal.


Page last updated 09 May, 2019