Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2005-06
 Everton (a) Premier Reserve League
Date: Tuesday 13th September 2005, 7.00pm

Venue: Haig Avenue, Southport.





Newcastle United


1 - 0




Half time:  Everton 0 Newcastle 0

A memorable 35-yard effort from Li Tie 0-1 

Full time: Everton 1 Newcastle 0

We Said

Tommy Craig said:

"The three first-teamers all got in a good 90 minutes and Titus cruised through it all even though he was up against Beattie in the first half.

"It was disappointing to lose because we got off to such a fine start but we missed a couple of good chances.

"I had an uneasy feeling at half-time that they would score after we dominated the first half and Li Tie did grab a really good goal."

They Said

Toffees Coach Andy Holden commented:

"I thought the young lads conducted themselves great, showed great fitness levels and we scored a great goal from Li Tie to win the game.

"Both full-backs did okay and the centre halves were nice and solid against a Newcastle side that had plenty of experience.

"In their side they had Robbie Elliott at left-back, Titus Bramble in the middle and Lee Clark in midfield. And they were having a go as well, to be fair.

"Newcastle started the game very well but we stemmed the tide a little and came into it midway through the second half after they had enjoyed the best of the first half.

"It was a very good result for us and I was very pleased with the lads."


Our second string's unbeaten run for the season came to an end at the fourth attempt, as Everton claimed all three points at Southport's Haig Avenue on Tuesday.

The absence of midfielder Martin Brittain meant that Scott Marshall was promoted to the Newcastle starting lineup and we fielded only four subs. 

The Magpies opened brightly and soon set about extending their unbeaten run this season, Carl Finnigan working shooting positions twice in the opening stages.

However while a smart intervention from a defender prevented him testing Everton 'keeper Ruddy on 3 minutes, 4 minutes later he the Newcastle striker forced him into a fingertip save.

United then continued to dominate proceedings without fashioning clear chances to score, before Everton at last showed up front on 17 in minutes.

Alleged former toon target James Beattie found strike partner Victor Anichebe, but as the Academy striker shaped to shoot, Titus Bramble nipped in to clear the ball for a corner.

Next to show was Beattie himself, who sent a long-range free kick whistling just wide of Caig's post after David Edgar conceded the foul.

Just after the half hour Newcastle almost broke the deadlock when from Alan O'Brien's corner, Robbie Elliott headed goalwards only to see midfielder Christian Seargeant pop up at the far post to clear the danger.

And on 37 minutes it was Elliott again featuring in the Everton area, but this time his header from Marshall's left wing corner flew just past the post.

There was no more action before the break, but 7 minutes into the second period Everton took the lead thanks to a fine 35 yard shot by Chinese midfielder Li Tie that Caig got a hand to but couldn't keep out.

United made two changes just before the hour as they looked for a way back into the game, Farman coming on for Marshall and Cave replacing Atkin. 

The latter took up a position on the left flank, allowing winger Alan O'Brien to move into the centre alongside Carl Finnigan.

However Newcastle failed to mount a serious attack on the visitors goal in the second half and ended the evening with nothing to show for their efforts.  



Page last updated 13 September, 2012