Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2014-15
Morpeth Town (h) U21 Northumberland Senior Cup Semi-final

In association 



Tuesday 17th February 2015, 7.30pm

 Whitley Park

Conditions: inexcusable


Newcastle U21s

Morpeth Town

  1 - 3





22mins Taylor shot 0-1

Heardman shot 1-1

Half time: Newcastle 1 Highwaymen 1

Taggert shot 1-2

Suddick own goal 1-3

Full time: Newcastle 1 Highwaymen 3




Youtube footage is online here


Defending champions Newcastle relinquished their grip on the Northumberland Senior Cup on Tuesday night, exiting to Northern League Morpeth at the Semi Final stage.

Peter Beardsley's side can have no complaints though, after their part-time opponents dominated the tie and created the vast majority of scoring opportunities.

The Highwaymen took the game to their opponents at every opportunity and registered a first effort on goal through former Magpie reserve Ben Sayer barely ten seconds after the first whistle.  

United had threatened twice in the opening quarter of play, Liam Smith's free kick flashing wide on 11 minutes and Jamie Holmes blasting over soon after.

However the visitors were gifted a 22nd minute opener after Jak Alnwick's misguided clearance fell for Sean Taylor to shoot home.

But it took United just five minutes to level as Tom Heardman ran on to a Jamie Holmes pass before neatly lobbing Niall Harrison in the Morpeth net.

The Northern League side should have gone in for their half time cuppa ahead again, more poor defensive work seeing a header fall to Daniel Taggert in front of goal.

His first time volley was narrowly wide from 12 yards, but just three minutes after the restart the striker hit the target, the United defence going AWOL as he shot home.

Matches of this type often see the non-leaguers begin to run out of steam after the hour mark as the superior fitness of the Academy side becomes apparent.

Someone obviously forgot to tell Morpeth that though, as they continued to be a threat - left back James Novak catching the eye as he marauded forward at pace.

Newcastle did belatedly manage some longer periods of possession and Olivier Kemen looked to inspire his side from a central midfield position. 

Unfortunately though, service to Heardman and Jonathyn Quinn remained sadly sub-standard, Quinn twice blasting wildly over when presented with anything like a sight of goal.

And United's misery was complete on 83 minutes, as Taylor sped in from the right and a low cross was turned past his own keeper by Lewis Suddick from close range.

The prospect of an all-Northern League final had looked bright when Whitley Bay took an early lead at Blyth, but Spartans levelled in the closing minutes of normal time before scoring twice in extra time to book their place. 

That sets up a rerun of the 2007 final, when Morpeth won 3-2 on a memorable night at SJP. Blyth though will feel that 2015 could be the year that they finally get their hands on this trophy, having finished as runners up on no less than ten occasions since their last success in 1994.


Page last updated 03 July, 2015