1) "She thinks I'm stupid. She thinks I'm just out of
my head" - On wife
2) "My father had five sons. I had four
3) "Denis Law once kicked me at Wembley in front of
the Queen in an
international. I mean, no man is entitled to do that,
4) "He was handing those cards out like tram
tickets" - After an Ipswich
match at Everton back in 1977.
5) "He managed with a velvet glove. But everyone at
Old Trafford knew who
was the manager" - On Sir Matt Busby.
6) "With Maradona, Arsenal could have won the World
Cup" - Sir Bobby in
1986. Note to younger readers: the Arse were pretty naff
in those days.
7) "Hitler didn't tell us when he was going to send
over those doodlebugs,
did he?" - On why he was refusing to name his England
team before a World
Cup qualifer against Sweden in 1989.
8) "He's learning about management now, isn't
he?" - On Trevor Francis,
sacked earlier in the day by QPR in 1990.
9) "We didn't underestimate them. They were a lot
better than we thought"
- Sir Bobby after England sneaked through against Cameroon
in the 1990
10) "I think I have the best job in the country"
- On being national
11) "I will not let these people get to me or rattle
me. They have no
qualifications. They have never been anywhere or done
football. Why should I listen to them? - Sir Bobby on
being criticised in
12) "I was just a victim of the tabloid newspaper
war. I had watched this
cancer spread over the eight years. It was ugly and
damaging" - On
announcing he was stepping down as England manager in
13) "Look at those olive trees. They're two hundred
years old - from
before the time of Christ!" - Sir Bobby illustrates
how great life is in
14) "I played cricket for my local village. It was 40
overs per side, and
the team that had the most runs won. It was that sort of
15) "We don't train in this country. We train at the
beginning of the
season to get fit - once the season starts, we're a nation
16) "I'm here to say goodbye - maybe not goodbye but
farewell" - On
leaving the England job in 1990.
17) "Players never know why they are taken off or
substituted - until they
18) "They're two points behind us, so we're neck and
19) "I'd say he's the best in Europe, if you put me
on the fence"
20) "Tottenham have impressed me: they haven't thrown
in the towel even
though they have been under the gun"
21) "Football never surprises you and it never
sometimes demoralises you"
22) "If we start counting our chickens before they
hatch, they won't lay
any eggs in the basket"
23) "We've got nothing to lose, and there's no point
losing this game"
24) "I would have given my right arm to be a
25) "I do want to play the short ball and I do want
to play the long ball.
I think long and short balls is what football is all
26) "Their football was exceptionally good - and they
played some good
27) "Eighteen months ago they [Sweden] were arguably
one of the best three
teams in Europe, and that would include Germany, Holland,
anybody else if you like"
28) "They tell me even Wimbledon are playing good
football" - Sir Bobby,
while PSV coach, in 1992.
29) "We're taking 22 players to Italy, sorry, to
Spain... where are we,
Jim?" On whether Paul Gascoigne should have gone to
the 1998 World Cup.
30) "He's very fast and if he gets a yard ahead of
himself nobody will
31) "Sarajevo isn't Hawaii"
32) "The first 90 minutes are the most
33) "In a year's time, he's a year older"
34) "Some of the goals were good, some of the goals
35) "Anything from 1-0 to 2-0 would be a nice
36) "Home advantage gives you an advantage"
37) "The margin is very marginal"
38) "Well, we got nine and you can't score more than
39) "He's got his legs back, of course, or his leg -
he's always had one
but now he's got two"
40) "Everyone's got tough games coming up. Manchester
United have got
Arsenal, Arsenal have got Manchester United and Leeds have
41) "Manchester United will find it very intimidating
with 100 screaming
fans in the Bernabeu"
42) "I thought that individually and as a pair,
they'd do better together"
43) "If you're a painter, you don't get rich until
you're dead. The same
happens with managers. You're never appreciated until
you're gone, and
then people say: 'Oh, he was OK'. Just like Picasso"
44) "What can I say about Peter Shilton? Peter
Shilton is Peter Shilton,
and he has been Peter Shilton since the year dot"
45) "Why couldn't John Barnes play for England the
way he played for
Liverpool?...If he was a chicken winger I could have
understood it, but we
are talking about a brave man, built like a cruiserweight
46) "I used to see Ruud Gullit play for his first
club, Harlem. We at
Ipswich thought he was a promising kid but we felt we had
kids like him in
47) "Daft as a brush" - On Paul Gascoigne, part
48) "When he was dribbling, he used to go through a
minefield with his
arm, a bit like you go through a supermarket" - On
Paul Gascoigne, part
49) "The little lad jumped like a salmon and tackled
like a ferret" - On
Paul Parker at the at the 1990 World Cup.
50) "Steve Hodge has been unfit for two weeks, well,
no, for 14 days"
51) "Ray Wilkins' day will come one night"
52) "Steve Guppy has a dextrous left foot"
53) "He's not the Carl Cort that we know he is"
54) "Carl Cort" - Sir Bobby's name for Shola Ameobi.
55) "Kevin Dyer" - Sir Bobby's name for Kieron
56) "All right, Bellamy came on at Liverpool and did
well, but everybody
thinks that he's the saviour, he's Jesus Christ. He's not
57) "Jermaine Jenas is a fit lad. He gets from box to
box in all of 90
58) "If you see him stripped, he's like Mike Tyson.
But he doesn't bite
like Tyson - On Titus Bramble.
59) "Nobby Solano discharged himself from hospital
after the Tottenham
game and he's driving, living the life and aware of who he
60) "We can't replace Gary Speed. Where do you get an
like him with a left foot and a head?"
61) "They can't be monks - we don't want them to be
monks, we want them to
be football players because a monk doesn't play football
at this level" -
On Newcastle's disciplinary problems.
62) "If we invite any player up to the Quayside to
see the girls and then
up to our magnificent stadium, we will be able to persuade
any player to
63) "We mustn't be despondent. We don't have to play
them every week -
although we do play them next week as it happens."
2-0 league defeat by Arsenal who they then played the
following Sunday in
64) Alan Brazil: "I'm delighted to say we've got Sir
Bobby Robson on the
end of the phone, fresh from getting his knighthood at
Bobby, terrific news."
Sir Bobby Robson: "What is?"
Brazil: "You know, getting the old sword on the
shoulder from Prince
Sir Bob: Eh? [Long pause] "Oh yeah... well, it was a
day I'll never
65) "The crowd were expecting Craig Bellamy to come
on and turn it around
in an instant. They think he's a magician. He's not, he
will be, but he
hasn't got a magic wand. He hasn't played for seven
months. He will be an
October player. He's not a September player"
66) "I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final -
but I would love to
lead Newcastle out at the final"
67) "Both teams - and Brazil even - got better on
their way to the World
68) "There will be a game where somebody scores more
than Brazil and that
might be the game that they lose"
69) "We used to have Shaka Hislop on our books but
I've never heard of
Shakira. Is she a singer?" - On learning that the pop
diva was staying in
the same Barcelona hotel as his players in November.
70) "I don't think she knows I'm in Germany because
we play Bayer
Leverkusen that night. She might have arranged a dinner
party. I will have
to tell her. She doesn't know, honestly" - On his
wife's arrangements for
his 70th birthday celebrations