Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



This Season 
 Match Report 2000-01 - Ipswich Town (h) 
 U17 Playoff Final Second Leg
Date: Tues 23rd May 7pm

Venue: St.James' Park 

Conditions: Sunny


Newcastle United

2 - 0
(2 - 5)
Ipswich Town


28 mins Offiong went down the right, cut into the area, and crossed low to the 
far post where Tommy English shot home into the Leazes goal from 4 yards

Half time: Newcastle U17 1 Ipswich U17 0

85 mins 
Again it was Offiong in the clear and he calmly chipped the ball over the head of the advancing keeper from a central position to make it 2-0 on the night. 

Full time: Newcastle U17 2 Ipswich U17 0

We Said

Alan Irvine commented:

"It was a good victory and I was proud of the players. A lot of people would have read too much into Saturday's bad result so the one thing I wanted was for the lads to do themselves justice.

"It was always going to be a tall order but you can score two goals in two minutes and then 1-0 becomes 3-0. We scored four in 11 minutes at Derby so I always hoped we could do something similar.

"But above all I wanted them to finish with a win because they've been fantastic all season." 

They Said

Ipswich Chairman David Sheepshanks addressed his players: 

"I am very proud of you all, it is a stunning achievement. We had 10 Englishmen and an Irishman in the starting line-up. This is an example of what you can do by coaching, team work and togetherness. Some of these lads have been together since they were 10 years old. I am so pleased for Ian, Bryan, Paul and the other coaches too. It is another important reflection of Ipswich Town Football Club and what is going right at Portman Road.

Nobody should be under any illusions in the big step up from this level to the first team and the Premiership but you can't do better than winning your League and it bodes well for the future."


As expected United set off in all-out attack mode as they attempted to score an early couple of goals, and put pressure on Ipswich and their formidable lead. 

Despite early pressure from the home side, it was 12 minutes before Newcastle came near to scoring with Chopra shooting over the bar from 12 yards after Offiong had released him. 

Three minutes later the tie was nearly all over but a goalbound header from an Ipswich corner was headed off the line by Norton. With a minute Collin was forced into a good save from a 25 yard effort as the visitors threatened again 

After United took the lead the game became more open and the visitors should have levelled on 38 minutes when they had two men clean through but managed to shoot wide. 

Just before half time Offiong went down the left, beat two men in a mazy 
dribble and crossed but as panic reigned in the Ipswich defence, the ball 
was cleared. 

The second half was more of the same with United pressing forward but Ipswich 
getting chances on the break. After 46 minutes, an English free kick on the right was headed clear but straight  to Chopra whose shot was well saved. Two minutes later and Robson put Chopra through, only for him to place his shot directly at the keeper. 

On 50 minutes United appeared to have a strong claim for a penalty when Chopra was tripped in the area but the Ref didn't agree with the packed Gallowgate end. 

55 minutes a good run from Moore resulted in his shot being deflected for a 
corner. On the hour it looked all over as the bigger and stronger Ipswich side looked to be getting control of midfield and forcing Newcastle onto the defensive. 

However, the lads didn't give up and had good efforts on 65 minutes through 
Chopra who shot over from 20 yards, and 4 minutes later from Moore who did 
likewise after cutting in from the right. In the 76th minute, Moore again cut inside and shot from the edge of the area but the keeper made an excellent save. 

With five minutes remaining, United's efforts were rewarded with a second goal, and this spurred on the side further, another penalty award being denied when 
Offiong was brought down in injury time. 

A fair result on the night and good entertainment for the fantastic crowd.

Thanks to Dave Greaves


Page last updated 14 July, 2016