Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2003-04
Grimsby Town  (a) Pontins Reserve League
Tuesday 13th January 2004, 2pm

Venue: Blundell Park

officially "bracing" - cold wind, but clear skies.

Grimsby Town Reserves

2 - 1 Newcastle United Reserves


32 mins Soames shot 0-1

Half time: Grimsby 1 Newcastle 0

78 mins Guy shot 1-1

81 mins Rowan shot 1-2

Full time:
Grimsby 2 Newcastle 1

We said

Tommy Craig said:

"Carl Cort came through and played the whole game, as did Michael Chopra and Andy Griffin. They needed a game under their belts because they're first-team material.

"In the first half we didn't create a great deal but in the second half we created a number of chances but didn't convert them.

"We controlled the game but they scored one with five minutes left on the clock. It was disappointing. It was our first league game after the Christmas break and we didn't produce the football of which we're capable."


Newcastle began their 2004 Pontins League campaign on Tuesday afternoon with a second defeat of the season at the hands of the Mariners, who had battered us 0-3 at Whitley Park back in September.

And United only had themselves to blame, after pulling themselves back level after a forgettable opening 45 minutes, only to see their defences breached again in the closing stages of the game as they searched for a winner themselves.

Substitute Lewis Guy grabbed our equaliser but other chances were spurned by strikers Cort and Chopra, while winger Alan O'Brien failed to test the home defence down the United left and was withdrawn.

Also leaving the field early was Andy Ferrell, who had taken a blow to the head in the first half and didn't reappear after the break - however he appeared to have suffered no ill-effects.

Match highlights:

Mariners in normal home black and white, Magpies in grey third strip.

16 mins Orr 20 yard effort deflected for corner, which was cleared.

21 mins Mariners pressure as a near post cross led to a shot from close range that Caig in the United goal proved in equal to. 

22 mins still 0-0 with the home side having slightly the better of things, winning the midfield battle so far.....

32 mins 19 year-old Grimsby winger David Soames cut in from the left across the box and opened the scoring, beating Caig with a low right-footed shot from around 15 yards for 0-1

39 mins Our best chance to level as Brittain on the right centred for Cort to nod down and Chopra put his shot over the bar from around 15 yards when he should have tested the 'keeper.

45 mins
First half ends - A scrappy encounter on a windy day, but the Nationwide side just about deserve their interval lead.

HT: 0-1 

61 mins Ramage headed over a left wing corner from Brittain.

66 mins A Griffin free kick was lofted foward and reached Cort who looked to have an opportunity to shoot from an angle, but opted to play in Guy, who failed to control the pass. 

69 mins Brittain centred from the left again to Cort, who turned and shot over the bar.

77 mins United attacked in numbers but Cort's shot was gathered comfortably by the Mariner's keeper.

78 mins Lewis Guy reacted ahead of the Grimsby defence when put clean through, shooting under the advancing 'keeper to level the scores. 1-1

81 mins Against the run of play, the visitors were caught out by a counter attack and Jonathan Rowan ran on to a through ball before beating Caig 1-2.

83 mins Guy was fouled on the edge of Grimsby box and Martin Brittain's quickly -taken free kick beat the goalkeeper but also the angle of post and crossbar.

87 mins A great effort from Bradley Orr looking to have levelled matters again, but his 30 yard lob was nodded of an unguarded goal line by a retreating defender

89 mins United's final chance went begging after substitute Caldwell's long ball sent Chopra racing clear, but rather than shoot the striker elected to pass to Guy who was in an offside position. 



Page last updated 14 July, 2016