Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2004-05
Everton res (a) Premier Reserve League North
Date: Thu 7th April 7pm

Venue: Bellefield training ground, West Derby.

Conditions: Uninspiring


Everton res

1 - 0 Newcastle United Res


Half time: Toffees 0 Newcastle 0

75 mins Kearney shot 0-1

Full time:
Toffees 1 Newcastle 0


In a rearranged game, United's reserves were beaten by a single second half goal at Everton's Bellefield training ground on Thursday afternoon.

A 75th minute shot from Irish winger Alan Kearney gave the Toffees revenge for our single goal victory at Kingston Park back in September.

Our first chance of the game came on 7 minutes when the lively Alan O'Brien got to the byline and pulled the ball back for Marc Walton.

However the striker was unable to keep his effort down under pressure from two defenders and shot over from close range.

And it was Wally again four minutes later who reacted first to Everton keeper Lake's poor clearance, only to place his hurried shot wide of the goals with the 'keeper scrambling back to his line.

The home side carved out on opportunity after 20 minutes, when full back Wright began and ended a flowing passing move by shooting just over Ben Smith's crossbar.

Playing with the wind and down the slope, United applied further pressure on the half hour, Brittain curling his free kick over the defensive wall after Finnigan had been brought down by Mark Hughes (not that one) outside the box.

Everton 'keeper Lake reached the effort but was only able to palm it away, the ball falling to Walton at an acute angle who was only able to send it back across goal, with nobody able to supply the vital touch.

The home side pressed after the break and young striker Victor Anichebe was denied twice in quick succession by goal line interventions from Chris Shanks.

Prompted by Brittain, United went straight up the other end and Walton played in Alan O'Brien, only for the winger to cut in from the left and shoot weakly at 'keeper Lake.

With Everton continuing to press and having the advantage of playing with the wind and down the slope, United's back line came under increasing pressure - midfielder Jamie McClen the next to clear off the line from Boyle on the hour.

The goal though came with 15 minutes remaining, Icelandic Vidarrson making progress down the left flank and pulling the ball back for Keanrey to beat Ben Smith.

After that the Magpies had no real chances to get back on level terms and Everton held out comfortably. 


Page last updated 14 July, 2016