Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2005-06
Leeds United res (h) Premier Reserve League North
Date: Wednesday 10th August 2005, 7pm

Venue: Kingston Park

sunshine and showers


Newcastle United

3 - 2 Leeds United


35 mins Huntington lob 1-0

43 mins Einarsson header 1-1

Half time: Newcastle 1 Leeds 1

56 mins Ricketts bicycle kick 1-2

60 mins Finningan shot 2-2

73 mins Ramage shot 3-2

Full time: Newcastle 3 Leeds 2

We Said

Tommy Craig said:

"It was a good game. It was a very committed performance from both teams. We put a lot into the game and stood up well. We had to come from 2-1 down and score two goals, and we did that. It was a pleasing performance."


Sunshine and showers, five goals and incidents -a-plenty as the reserve season got underway at Kingston Park on Wednesday with a welcome home win - thanks to Peter Ramage.

A small crowd including Freddy Shepherd, Terry McDermott and Dean Saunders saw further striking headaches for Graeme Souness though, when Michael Chopra limped from the action within the first 15 minutes.

It was later confirmed that Chopra faces at least a month on the sidelines after possible knee ligament damage - which reduces our striking options further, if that were possible.

Back to the game, and with chances at both ends, former Magpies apprentice Ian Bennett in the visitor's goal made a couple of decent stops, as did his opposite number Ben Smith.

The opening goal of the season came on 35 minutes when N'Zogbia's cross was over-hit and played back across goal by O'Brien.

Bennett reached the ball, but his weak punched clearance fell only to Toon defender Paul Huntington to side-foot the ball back over the 'keeper and into the net.

Two minutes before half time however, the visitors levelled when Icelandic midfielder Gylfi Einarsson headed home Pugh's left wing cross.

The second half began in similar style to the first, with Newcastle captain Kris Gate limping off after a heavy tackle.

Chris Farman was brought on, while Robbie Elliott took the armband.

Meanwhile Leeds introduced Morris from the bench and it was from his right wing cross on 56 minutes that former smoggy striker Michael Ricketts put the visitors ahead with an eye-catching bicycle kick.

Back came the Magpies though and on the hour Carl Finnigan maintained his scoring record from last season, stabbing home Walton's left-wing centre from close range.

Leeds thought they'd regained the lead shortly after, but referee Hewitt spotted that Spring was standing offside when Pugh's shot from 18 yards deflected off him en route to beating Smith.

No such problems for Newcastle on 73 minutes though, when Peter Ramage converted Brittain's free kick at the second attempt, beating Bennett from six yards.

The free kick had been rightly awarded after Walton was brought down by Madden.

And it was almost 4-2 from the kickoff, when a surging forward run ended with O'Brien crashing his shot off the post from 20 yards.

As it was Leeds did almost fashion another equaliser, albeit unintentionally when a Morris cross grazed Smith's crossbar with the 'keeper a spectator on 82 minutes.

Newcastle deservedly claimed the points though in an entertaining affair, Lee Clark having a quiet night in midfield to begin his second spell with the club.     

Thanks to the Pieman 


Page last updated 10 August, 2012