Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2009-10
Huddersfield Town (a) League Northern Division

Date: Tuesday 15th September 2009, 7pm

 Galpharm Stadium




Huddersfield Town

Newcastle Reserves


2 - 4




19 mins Robbie Simpson shot 0-1

32 mins
Greg McDermott close range effort 1-1

Half time: Town 1 Toon 1

47 mins
Robbie Simpson shot 1-2

53 mins Wesley Ngo Baheng
shot 2-2

87 mins Frank Wiafe Danquah
deflected shot 3-2

89 mins Wesley Ngo Baheng
shot 4-2

Full time: Town 2 Toon 4

We Said

Coach Alan Thompson told the official site:

"The boys have shown tremendous spirit to twice come from behind. They played some really good stuff at times and I thought the win was thoroughly deserved.

"Huddersfield had quite a few experienced players in their side, but I thought our lads showed their quality. We were in their half for long periods towards the end and we were delighted when the winner came."

"It's three goals from two matches now for Wes and he's in great form. I thought he was excellent. He led the line well and at times his hold-up play was very good. His goals were both cool finishes and that will do his wonders for his confidence."


Two goals from in-form youngster Wesley Ngo Baheng made it two wins out of two this season for Newcastle's reserve team, although they left it late before claiming all three points on Tuesday.

Magpies coach Alan Thompson was forced into an early reshuffle when Callum Morris left the field to be replaced by Welsh youth international Paul Dummett.

Paul Stephenson's Terriers side took the lead thanks to a shot from midfielder Robbie Simpson on 19 minutes, only for United to hit back just after the half hour.

Midfielder Greg McDermott grabbed his maiden reserve strike from close range in what was only his second start at this level  - with his father Terry looking on, present in his role as Huddersfield's assistant boss.

Into the second half and former Coventry City striker Robbie Simpson regained the lead for Town barely two minutes after the restart, powering his shot past Ole Soderberg from distance.

Back came the Magpies again though and Wesley Ngo Baheng levelled with his second goal in as many reserve games, following good work by Brad Inman.

And the visitors took the lead for the first time in the match with three minutes remaining, when Frank Wiafe Danquah's shot beat Matt Glennon via a deflection.

Baheng then grabbed his second and United's fourth on 89 minutes, seizing on a wayward pass before striding forward, drawing Glennon and converting the chance to seal the victory.  



Page last updated 15 September, 2012