Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2012-13
Manchester City (h) Professional Development League

Date: Friday 8th March 2013, 1pm

 Whitley Park

drizzly and gloomy - the floodlights were on from kickoff.

Newcastle Res

Manchester City Res

1 - 1




Half time: United 0 City 0

61 mins
Logan shot 1-0

81 mins
Lopes penalty 1-1

Full time: United 1 City 1

We said

Reserve coach Willie Donachie:

"I thought they did fantastically well. First half they were a bit edgy and nervous because I think they were worried about reputations, but in the second when they were more positive, played more simply, moved and took responsibility I thought they were really, really good.


Having returned from Moscow with his senior side just hours earlier, Alan Pardew was present to see the reserves on Friday afternoon and should have been heartened by what he saw - especially the form shown by fit-again central defender Remie Streete.

A drab first half saw City control most of the possession with the Magpies offering little to trouble the visitors and plenty to keep Streete busy along with fellow defender Curtis Good - the latter playing his first game since a League Cup final outing for Bradford City on loan. 

Jonathyn Quinn had an early chance to put United ahead when he ran onto a poor backpass, but miscontrolled when well placed. City's Denis Suarez then saw two efforts at the tail end of the half, one blocked by a defender and the other easily dealt with by goalkeeper Jonathan Mitchell.

Pardew disappeared just before half-time and with Alex Gilliead replacing Alex Nicholson before the restart, United came out looking better in the opening exchanges of the second period. Gilliead should have scored with an effort from 12 yards that was blocked and Romain Amalfitano's strike from the edge of the box was well saved, as the home side gained the ascendancy.

That domination was rewarded in the 61st minute when Steven Logan controlled a cleared cross from James Tavernier, 22 yards out and volleyed superbly over City custodian Ian Lawlor and high into the net, for his first-ever goal at this level.

Ten minutes later winger Rolando Aarons almost caught out the 'keeper at the near post but it was turned round for a corner. In the 75th minute a great curled effort from City substitute Fofana flashed narrowly wide and then three minutes later Lubomir Satka made a superb block to deny Seko Fofana's rasping drive.

City equalised in the 81st minute from the penalty spot when a long range effort was pushed onto the post and Tavernier fouled Devante Cole as the striker tried to reach the rebound. Marcos Lopes slotted the penalty low to Jonathan Mitchell's right and then two minutes later, substitute la Rosa had an effort brilliant beaten away by the 'keeper.

With four minutes remaining, Amalfitano saw his volley saved from a Tavernier cross as an excellent second half came to a climax. Neither side could come up with a late winner though and the game finished all square, as had the meeting of the two sides at U18 level earlier in the week. 



Page last updated 06 July, 2013