Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2014-15
Wolverhampton Wanderers (a) U21 Premier League Division Two

In association 


Date: Monday 23rd February 2014, 7pm

 New Bucks Head Stadium, Telford

Conditions: Cold and wet. Very.

Wolves U21s

Newcastle U21s

  2 - 2





24 mins Simspon shot 0-1

Half time: Dingles 1 Geordies 0

67 mins
Armstrong penalty 1-1

78 mins
Kemen shot 2-1

90+4 mins
Simpson shot 2-2

Full time: Dingles 2 Geordies 2




Having surrendered top spot earlier in the day to West Bromwich Albion, Newcastle's second string seemed to have an ideal opportunity to regain their position when they faced bottom-placed Wolves on Monday night. 

Despite winning just one of their thirteen league games this season though, Wolves
- coached by former Magpies favourite Scott Sellars - have enjoyed an upturn in fortunes since the turn of the year with a quartet of draws - two of which came against in-form opponents.

In driving rain at Telford's Bucks Head stadium, they struck first when Ben O'Hanlon broke down the left before crossing for Donovan Wilson to beat Freddie Woodman to the ball and steer the ball home on 24 minutes.

United then missed a great opportunity to level just after the half hour, when Olivier Kemen robbed an opponent before driving into the box and teeing up Tom Heardman. Sadly though the striker skied his shot from six yards.

Despite worsening conditions, United made a promising start to the second period and a superb curling effort by Adam Armstrong from 25 yards out beat Aaron McCarey - only to smash off the post and rebound to safety.

Wolves then spurned the opportunity to go further ahead on 52 minutes after Dan Barlaser's barge on an attacker was penalised by the award of a penalty kick. Up stepped Jordan Graham, only to smash his effort off the underside of the crossbar and away to safety.

Woodman failed to connect with that strike but made a miraculous reflex block just three minutes later to tip over a goalbound header from James Kellerman.

United levelled midway through the second half from a spot kick of their own after Kemen's turn in the box was illegally halted and Adam Armstrong smashed it home.
Olivier Kemen then put Peter Beardsley's side 2-1 ahead after 78 minutes, taking Jamie Sterry's cross before unleashing a fabulous curling effort from the left hand side of the box that flew over McCarey and into the net.

The midfielder's first goal of the season looked to have given United a first league win in five games, but Wolves grabbed a share of the points deep into added time.


Referee Daniel Meeson awarded the home side a corner kick with just four seconds of the three minutes added time remaining, Aaron Simpson turning the flag kick home to level with almost the last kick of the match. 
Niall MacKenzie

Page last updated 03 July, 2015