Main Page

Quick Links

The Rest
   Club info
   Last Season
   Unlikely Lads
   A-Z Index



Season 2016-17
Morpeth Town (a) Northumberland Senior Cup Quarter Final

In association 


Date: Wednesday December 7th 2016, 7.30pm 

 Craik Park

Conditions: positively balmy (14 degrees!)

Morpeth Town

Newcastle U23s

  2 - 3





14 mins: Roberts cross/shot 1-0

19 mins:
Heardman shot 2-0

45 mins: Grieve header 2-1

Half time: Town
1 Toon 2

 mins: Davison header 2-2

6 mins: Ward shot 0-3

Full time:
Town 2 Toon 3



photo credit: @CJCPhotoUK via @MorpethTownAFC

A late Dan Ward strike saved Newcastle's blushes and gave them a place in the Semi-Finals of this season's Northumberland Senior Cup on Wednesday night.

However their Northern League hosts pushed them all the way and looked the more likely winners for much of the second half, after recovering from falling two goals behind within the first 20 minutes.

On a remarkably mild night at Craik Park, United's Callum Roberts gave his side a slightly fortunate 14th minute lead, sweeping over a cross from the left that ended up in the opposite side of the net.

And when Liam Gibson set up Tom Heardman to prod the ball into the roof of the net from close range just five minutes later, a routine win looked on the cards.

However Morpeth were undaunted and after former Magpie Ben Sayer had two shots on goal in quick succession, Gibson's timely clearance from within his own six yard box kept them at arm's length.

Nicky Gray's side gained a foothold in the tie in the final seconds of normal time, United old boy Matty Grieve heading Liam Davison's cross firmly beyond Freddie Woodman.

Grieve was one of Town/Toon connections involved in the tie: Ben Sayer and Mark Doninger also formerly featuring in the Senior Cup for the black and whites, while Paul Robinson and Morpeth manager Nicky Gray are part of the NUFC academy coaching staff. NB: the Liam Henderson on their books isn't the former Newcastle player. 

The reigning FA Vase holders were level six minutes after the restart, Liam Henderson reaching a strong cross that the United defence had given up on, returning it for Davison to head down and in. 

Striker Davison then came close to putting Morpeth ahead for the first time, first shooting narrowly wide before Woodman's noteworthy block denied him after the move of the match on 67 minutes.  

Little had been seen of United as an attacking unit after the break, only the darting runs of Roberts causing the home defence any concern.

However it was midfielder Dan Ward whose trickery saw him wriggle through the Highwaymen's defence before shooting beyond Karl Dryden on 76 minutes.

The visitors successfully held on to avoid extra time and penalties, Joe Walton heading Morpeth's best chance wide of Woodman but also past his post. 

Newcastle join current holders North Shields, Blyth Town and Blyth Spartans in the last four. 


Page last updated 15 June, 2017